Sunday, November 13, 2011

Eighteenth Street Lounge

Eighteenth Street Lounge Main Room
It's about 9pm on a Wednesday night and a few of Clement's friends are visiting from France. I think to myself where is the best place to take them tonight? I believe in being a good host and I know Thievery Corporation always spins good music so I send a text to Clement that the venue of choice would be Eighteenth Street Lounge (ESL). ESL, as its affectionately referred to by its regulars, is a cool little lounge with a very vintage feel. Thievery Corp did a great job with the sound system and they manage to fill it with some of the hottest music around. When I say hottest music, I do not mean the garbage you find on the charts these days, I'm talking about real good music, whether it be from the DJs themselves, to local artists, to international gems from all over. You never know what you'll hear but you won't hear any garbage that is for certain.

ESL Main Bar
Drinks were kind of pricey for a Wednesday night at 10 bucks a pop but the bartenders are pretty good chemists. The dress code is fashionable and you'll see everything from jeans and Kenneth Cole boots, to Armani suits with a pair of Chuck Taylor's. The ladies in particular have their very own sense of style and keep it pretty chic. When in doubt,clean up a little and be yourself. There's a main area, complete with logs, a fireplace, and parlor sofas. You'll find lots of cool kittens purring throughout the area chatting, people watching, and if you're lucky dancing up against you near the fireplace. There's also a Gold Room and a Jazz Bar to explore. This particular night they had a DJ on one side of the main area and a reggae band on the other called Rockers International. I ended up hypnotized by an awesome live band so I never got farther than the main room and gold room... except to the outdoor patio to find my friends when they wandered off to smoke and drag them back to the dance floor.

We had a great time. Thievery Corporation stole a good formula and is using it just like those those turntables they keep spinning. I'll be here often.

L.

Venue: ESL
Location: 1212 18th St, Washington DC 20036
Phone: (202) 466-3922

No comments:

Post a Comment